Try these Turkey Parmesan Zucchini Boats for an easy, healthy, and veggie-packed dinner. Featuring lean ground turkey, tomato sauce, basil, and a sprinkle of cheese, they’re a delicious twist on classic chicken parmesan.
Hello, hello! I didn’t mean to go dark on the blog last week, but things got crazy with work and life and before I knew it the week had come to a close. Hate when that happens, but sometimes you just need to live your life and get back to your routine once you’re ready, am I right?
Over the weekend, we experienced our first real snowfall of the season here in Connecticut. I basically hunkered down inside in my most comfortable fleece pants, sipped on hot tea, and followed my kitten Nugget around the house all day long so I could watch his reaction to the snow. (He was SUPER intrigued and skeptical, as expected, and I was a typical new kitty mom and was a little too excited to see him experience snow for the first time, also as expected.)
Now that things are getting chillier than usual, I’ve been craving comfort food non-stop. Heaping bowls of soup that make your belly feel warm and your soul feel full. Baked chicken and casseroles. You get the idea. If it’s warm, I want it. Salads, for instance, just haven’t sounded appetizing. So I’m officially roasting my veggies now until spring. 🙂
Good thing for you, I’ve gotten creative to create warm and nourishing recipes that fit RIGHT into said comfort food vibe while also being nutritious and balanced. Take one…these Turkey Parmesan Zucchini Boats. Tender zucchini is carved out then filled with lean ground turkey and classic parmesan flavors: italian herbs, red tomato sauce, onion, more zucchini, parmesan cheese, and a sprinkle of mozzarella (because what’s parmesan without mozzarella?).
Note: You could definitely use ground chicken instead of ground turkey, but I thought turkey sounded like a different twist on the usual…and if our clean plates were any indication, it was!
- 4 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup onion, minced
- ½ cup + ¼ cup marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400*F. Spread ½ cup of marinara sauce over bottom of a large baking dish.
- Scoop out the inside of each zucchini using a spoon or melon scoop, leaving about ¼" of zucchini on the bottom and each side. Chop the remaining zucchini and measure out ¾ cup (you can discard the rest or save it for another recipe.)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add the zucchini and cook 3-4 minutes, then transfer to the baking dish.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground turkey over medium high heat until no pink remains. Add the onions, reserved zucchini, ¼ cup marinara sauce, garlic powder, basil, oregano, sea salt, and ground black pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Scoop about ⅓ cup of the ground turkey mixture into each zucchini half, packing it to fit.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of mozzarella cheese and ¼ teaspoon of parmesan cheese over each half.
- Cover with boil and bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with fresh basil if desired. Enjoy!
Pin It For Later: