These skinny popcorn shrimp are dipped in egg and coated with a sprinkling of crispy panko, garlic powder, and parmesan, then brushed with coconut oil and baked in the oven instead of frying–and they couldn’t be easier to make.
I hail from New Jersey, so each summer it was only natural I’d make the trek “down the shore” to visit the state’s Atlantic Ocean shoreline. We’d pack sub sandwiches or salads in a plastic cooler and cram beach chairs into the trunk of our car and set sail down the Parkway. Okay, maybe “sail” isn’t the correct word: it was more like accelerate, brake, accelerate, brake.
An entire day was spent sprawled out on the sand, breathing in the salty air and praying for a tan. Then we’d pile back in the car and make the trek over to a classic fried seafood joint adorned with a red and white striped awning and wood picnic tables. No fuss. I didn’t ever look at the menu: popcorn shrimp it was for me every single time.
It wasn’t healthy in the slightest, but it was my Jersey Shore treat of choice and I savored each and every bite. The perfectly crispy seafood dish recently popped into my head again and struck a craving. I grabbed a few bags of shrimp at the grocery store and got to work with a lofty goal in mind: to recreate the shrimp. I knew I wanted to retain the crispiness, but my goal was to remake them a bit healthier yet just as tasty.
I’m happy to report (and so is my husband, for that matter) that these Skinny Garlic Parmesan Popcorn Shrimp accomplish those goals and then some. These popcorn shrimp are dipped in egg and then coated with a sprinkling of crispy panko, garlic powder, and parmesan, then baked in the oven instead of frying–and they couldn’t be easier to make. A light brush of coconut oil ups the crispiness factor and seals the deal. No trip to the beach required.
- 1 pound large raw shrimp, thawed
- 1 egg
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted OR cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350*F and line a baking tray with tin foil (then spray with cooking spray) or a silicone baking mat.
- Whisk the egg and add it to one bowl. In a second bowl, mix together the panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, sea salt, black pepper, and paprika.
- Dip the shrimp into the egg then coat both sides with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly dab each shrimp with coconut oil OR spray it with cooking spray (this helps to make it crispy).
- Cook shrimp for 7 minutes on one side, then flip and brush with coconut oil or cooking spray and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until cooked all the way through and light golden brown.
Pin It For Later: