These Scallion Chicken Meatballs are packed with lean protein and crunchy scallions and are so easy to make! The base of almond flour and egg makes them completely gluten-free. A unique, slightly sweet and sour tomato sauce that is sweetened naturally with honey coats each bite.
Why I’m Obsessed With Scallions
True story: I’m mildly obsessed with scallions. Why? There’s just something about the bite of flavor these vibrant green, tube-shaped onions provide. Plus, I love their slightly crunchy texture. I think they work in pretty much everything: scrambled eggs, grilled chicken salads…and even baked into chicken meatballs.
If you haven’t guessed it yet, the sheer number of meatball recipes I’ve shared on the blog should give away that the latter is where I’m headed. Where are all my fellow meatball fans? If you’ve never tried scallions in meatballs before, you’re seriously missing out. They’re an interesting change from the usual diced onion, and they provide the perfect unique flavor — especially in this recipe which features them so prominently.
Easy Sweet & Sour Sauce
I love making turkey meatballs for meal prep, but using the same old ingredients can get old fast. These taste special thanks to a heavy hand of chopped scallions, almond flour, egg, and the sauce. Let’s talk about the sauce. I’m all about being real, so let me start by admitting that I originally set out to create a homemade barbecue sauce. I mixed a bunch of ingredients together but still wasn’t really getting a barbecue sauce vibe.
But when I tasted it, it was absolutely incredible in a different way. It was heavier on the tomato than your typical barbecue sauce, and the pops of honey and complex worchestershire sauce livened it up. Slightly sweet and slightly sour, I quickly realized my mistake was a blessing in disguise. It was absolutely delicious, and it was the perfect complement to the scallion meatballs.
The Text of Approval
When my husband dug into his first bowl at work, I immediately got a text that the meatballs were amazing. He doesn’t sugar coat things (I still love him), so I knew I had a winner on my hands. Make these Scallion Chicken Meatballs (and obviously don’t skip the sauce!) as soon as you can as a quick and easy dinner the whole family will love or for meal prep to enjoy throughout the week.
- 3 pounds ground chicken
- 1.5 cups scallions, chopped
- 4 gloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup almond meal
- 28 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken, scallions, garlic, pepper, salt, eggs, and almond meal. Be careful not to overmix.
- Roll into 2" meatballs and place on a baking tray lined with a silicone baking mat or aluminum foil sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for approximately 25 to 30 minutes or until no pink remains inside.
- In a medium saucepan, mix together the tomato sauce, honey, Worcestershire sauce, red wine vinegar, and mustard and heat over medium-high heat until heated through.
- Pour the sauce over the meatballs and serve over rice or cauliflower rice (or however you like)!
Ground turkey or beef may be swapped for the ground chicken, but I prefer the chicken in this recipe.
Regular breadcrumbs may be used in place of the almond meal if you prefer.
Pin It For Later: