These grain-free Paleo Cinnamon Butternut Squash Muffins are perfectly sweet and nutty yet are made with wholesome ingredients including almond flour, butternut squash puree, cinnamon, and honey.
“Try this,” my husband said nonchalantly as he handed me a crumpled napkin that presumably contained something edible. We were dating long-distance at the time, so he had just completed the 4-hour trek from Massachusetts to New Jersey, where I lived at the time. And he had apparently carted said object for the entirety of the ride.
Here’s the thing: Andrew enjoys a good meal just as much as I do (one of the reasons I love him). At the same time, he doesn’t usually go out of his way to rave about any particular food. So the fact that he had just carried said item across state lines just so I could try it had me sweating a little.
I peeled back the tissue-thin paper barrier concealing the mysterious object inside and took a bite. Turns out it was a butternut donut hole, and it was seriously one of the best things I’ve ever eaten. Don’t tell anyone I said so, but it even blew pumpkin spice donuts out of the water. It was perfectly nutty and sweet and I could sense warm and spicy flavors in the batter. Basically, it was heaven.
Long story short, I’ve dreamed about that little donut hole to this day and lamented the fact that I would never have it again (I searched high and low for something similar in New Jersey and now Connecticut and never found anything quite like it). Until I decided to take matters into my own hands.
You guys, these Paleo Cinnamon Butternut Squash Muffins come dangerously close and that’s saying a lot because the version I enjoyed wasn’t healthy in the slightest. These, on the other hand, are both gluten-free and paleo thanks to a base of nutty almond flour. Butternut squash puree, classic fall spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, and sweet honey seal the deal. They are seriously so good I could eat the entire batch. Now if you’ll go excuse me…
- 3 cups almond flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon + ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup honey
- 1 cup butternut squash puree
- ¼ cup pecans, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350*F. In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, baking soda, sea salt, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add the egg, honey, and butternut squash puree to the bowl and use a wooden spoon or handheld mixer to mix until just combined.
- Line muffin tins with paper or silicone liners and fill each cup ¾ full with batter.
- In a small glass bowl, stir together the pecans and remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Spinkle mixture on top of muffins.
- Bake for 22-24 minutes or until muffins are thoroughly cooked.
Pin It For Later: