These protein-packed, easy to assemble chicken parmesan muffins feature everything you love about the Italian classic with a few healthy tweaks: ground chicken, tomato sauce, and a hidden melted mozzarella center. The whole family will enjoy this fun and tasty lunch or dinner option!
Hi, friends! I apologize for disappearing on you all on Friday – no real excuse, but I’m going to blame it on “week after my birthday” syndrome (is that a thing?).
It was two Sundays ago (August 6th), and it was low-key but perfect. A few highlights included hot buttered lobster rolls, campfire s’mores ice cream from a local spot, a homemade steak dinner thanks to my husband, beautiful sunflowers, and a visit from my parents and brother. Let’s not talk about how the last year in my 20s has commenced, though…
Oh, there may be ONE other reason I’ve been a bit preoccupied: our new kitten, Nugget! We adopted the most adorable and snuggly 3-month old furry guy 2 weeks ago, and I’ve been loving every single second. My heart is so full. Pictures to come soon. <3
…And my stomach is full, too – I’ve been devouring these mozzarella-stuffed chicken parmesan muffins. Yes, I just wrote mozzarella-stuffed chicken parmesan muffins. Lean ground chicken is combined with tomato sauce, Italian seasonings, and bread crumbs and then stuffed with ooey, gooey mozzarella and based in the oven to perfection.
No time-consuming, multi-step dipping, breading, and frying required. Just mix everything together, add to a muffin tin, and you’re good to go. And the end result is SO good! And healthy. And easy to throw together. Basically, you should make these right now.
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 1 cup onion, diced
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 cup marinara sauce, plus extra for topping
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1.3 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into ½-inch cubes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Use your hands to thoroughly mix all ingredients together EXCEPT the mozzarella cheese in a large bowl.
- Grease 2 muffin tins with coconut oil, cooking spray, or butter (fill the unused cups with an inch or two of water to prevent them from burning).
- Fill each muffin tin halfway with the chicken mixture.
- Place a mozzarella cube in the center, then top with chicken mixture until filled to the top.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce on top of each chicken parmesan cup.
- Bake in the oven approximately 25 to 30 minutes or until cooked all the way through.
- Top with additional fresh basil and a sprinkle of parmesan and/or mozzarella cheese, if desired.