This easy and fruity smoothie features alternating layers of juicy, in-season berries and creamy, vanilla-laced frozen bananas. The result is a festive red and white treat featuring no added sugar (only natural sweetness from the fruit) and no dairy (hello vanilla almond milk!).
The 4th of July has long been one of my favorite holidays. It could be because I’m all about summer, but the entire weekend embodies everything I love about the season. I live for endless days spent at the beach, soaking up the sun and watching the last icy bits of popsicle drip off its wooden stick while time stands still. Plus, the seemingly infinite days that last until a late sunset at 7 or 8pm are the best!
So far my husband and I had some friends (2 local, 1 high school friend visiting from Massachusetts) over to our place on Friday night and then went out for dinner with them the following night at Barcelona Wine Bar in Stamford (SO good!). Yesterday was filled with a relaxing (and sweaty) hike at our favorite local spot, and the rest of the agenda for this weekend includes a trip to the local beach, some grilling, and plenty of relaxation, too.
We’re heading to California (San Franscisco, Sonoma, and the Redwood Forest) next Saturday for our anniversary(!!!), so taking advantage of some quiet time and relaxation sounds great to us. If you have any must-visit spots or restaurants, please pass them on!
Back to this weekend… Are you looking for a low-key way to celebrate, too? I suggest whipping up one of these Banana Berry Layered Smoothies and parking a beach chair in the sun. These easy, festive, and fruity smoothies incorporate layers of juicy, in-season berries and creamy, vanilla-laced frozen bananas to create a festive red and white treat. With no added sugar (only natural sweetness from the fruit) and no dairy (hello vanilla almond milk!), you can’t go wrong. Grab the recipe below and let me know if you give it a try!
Wherever you are and whatever you do these next few days, I hope you enjoy some time to relax and soak it all in. Whether you enjoy plenty of pool time, travel cross-country, or park yourself on the local beach with a Corona, I hope you guys have a good one!
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 cups frozen diced bananas
- 1½ cups frozen mixed berries
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons water
- Combine 1 cup almond milk and 2 cups frozen bananas and blend until thoroughly mixed. The consistency will be rather thick, so depending on your blender, you may need to add a splash of water or milk.
- Fill 2 16-ounce glasses about one-third of the way full with the banana smoothie. Pour the rest of the mixture into a glass and set aside.
- Combine the remaining 1 cup almond milk and 2 tablespoons water with 1½ cups frozen mixed berries (I used a blend of blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries). Blend until combined.
- Pour the berry smoothie over the banana smoothie, dividing evenly between two glasses.
- Pour the remaining banana smoothie on top and garnish with a cherry or other berry, if desired!