This Caprese Shrimp Pasta with Avocado Pesto is packed with lean protein from the shrimp and lentil-based pasta plus healthy fats from the avocado and olive oil. Mini pearl mozzarella and juicy, bite-sized tomatoes take it over the top. Bonus: it’s deceptively easy to throw together on busy weeknights!
Shrimp… oh how I love thee. I’d be happy eating seafood for dinner every single night if I could. Last summer, I pretty much did just that while traveling in Portland, Maine for my bachelorette party and to Aruba for my honeymoon. I opted for a lobster roll or fish tacos for lunch and fresh flounder from right off the boat for dinner.
When in New England or the Caribbean, right?
When a craving for seafood struck over the weekend, I ran with it and decided to combine it with one my recent favorite finds at Trader Joe’s: lentil pasta! The Organic Red Lentil Sedanini they carry there is made with just red lentils and water, and it has a nice and mild flavor.
The texture is pretty reminiscent of regular pasta, too: firm yet perfectly chewy. It’s a nice healthy swap for regular pasta since it contains no wheat and more fiber and protein.
The juicy diced cherry tomatoes and fresh pearl mozzarella (both of which taste so good right now) really take this dish over the top. Nothing better than caprese in the summer!
And let’s talk about this perfectly creamy avocado pesto that coats each nook and cranny with goodness. Perfection!
- 1 pound red lentil pasta (or other pasta of choice)
- 1.5 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 pound pre-cooked medium shrimp, defrosted
- 1.5 cups frozen green beans
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, packed
- ¼ cup Meyer lemon olive oil (or regular olive oil + 1 teaspoon lemon juice)
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Boil a medium to large pot of water and cook the lentil pasta according to the package instructions.
- Chop the cherry tomatoes in half length-wise and set aside.
- Break the frozen green beans into smaller bite-sized pieces. Place them in a small glass bowl, add 1 tablespoon water, and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
- Strain the pasta and return it to the pot. Add the shrimp, cherry tomatoes, and green beans.
- Add the avocado, basil, olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper to a food processor or blender and combine until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the pasta mixture and stir to combine.